Wednesday, January 31, 2007

Inclement Weather


This is the color of my bedroom walls.. well, two of them anyway. I searched for months for that perfect shade of blue-green - this is called "Mermaid." It reminds me of the ocean, which in turn reminds me of pretty much everything I love.

The sun is from Chiapas, brought back by Ci who brings me some kind of souvenir wherever she may roam. "She went to some tropical island and all I got was this lousy postcard..." Just kidding. Wherever I am living at the time, I make sure to hang up some of the little trinkets she picked out for me. It never fails to make my surroundings feel a little more like home.

I went to bed last night listening to the sound of the rain... and woke up this morning to the same sound. God, it's wonderful. It's fairly rare to get any *real* rainstorms here in SoCal. Usually it's just a passing cloud who accidently sprinkles the sidewalk with a few precious drops before realizing that he's at the wrong place. I remember one time, though, I was living in La Mesa and there was this amazing electrical storm. Lightning would flash across the sky, followed by a crack of thunder that shook my window panes and thrilled me to no end. I remember climbing up onto my dresser to sit in the windowsill, staying there until the storm was over. Today's showers weren't quite as spectacular, but the sound of the water rushing through the gutters and the drip-dropping from the eaves were enough to bring a smile to my face.

No comments: