Wednesday, January 17, 2007

These are a few of my favorite things...

As a kid, I was a complete tomboy. I refused to wear pink until I was in my mid 20's. I could hit a baseball, climb a tree, and make the 3 pointer at the buzzer about as well as any of my male peers at the time. In high school, the natural progression for my excess energy was to participate in organized sports. I made the basketball team right off the bat. I loved playing basketball and had played at the park near my house for several years. I played AYSO soccer and was really into that for a while. One sport I was not so into, but participated in anyway (mainly because of a certain boy and my parents' no-dating-until-you're-16 rule) was track and field. I mainly stuck to the track part of things. Once my coach realized I had no real talent (speed was not a part of my vocabulary) but enough conditioning to have some decent endurance, he put me on all the long-distance events. Everything from the 400 meters to the 2 mile. Blah. As a friend of mine says, "You're going running? And no one is chasing you?" In the end, I won a couple relay medals and have a lot of good memories from the whole experience. I also made a few friends through the team, one of whom gave me this necklace. It was a serious score at the thrift store and how she could part with it, I'll never know.

No comments: