Tuesday, February 27, 2007

I heart coffee

Because I was such a good little Mormon girl growing up and was taught that coffee was Satan's nectar and also a gateway drug, I did not start drinking it until way into my 20's. I had tasted coffee-flavored things, like coffee ice cream. I had walked through the coffee aisle in the grocery store a million times, just because I loved the sweet smell. I used to make it for my grandfather, with a teaspoon of cafe vienna because he liked it sweet.

The first time I tried it, I had every intention of going to the Jamba Juice near my house. Instead, I guess I was feeling a little rebellious, and went into the cafe next door and entered the dark, seedy world of the coffee bean. The first time I tried it, I had something sweet - mostly chocolate with a little bit of coffee and a lot of sugar. Over time, I began to appreciate the flavors and preferred it dark and strong. Now, several years later, I take my coffee black and my espresso plain or with a little bit of hazelnut syrup.


But, it's not just about the coffee anymore. It's about comfort and warmth. It's about decadent desserts in a cup. It's about wanting to sit and read a book or visit with a friend somewhere other than home. Starbucks will do in a pinch, but I actually prefer the independent cafes and little mom & pop places. Influx, Krakatoa, and The Living Room all hold a million little memories for me. And each time I get a whiff of that steamy brewed goodness, it reminds me of those times.


In light of this love affair I have with my java, why is it that I never date men who drink the stuff?

No comments: