Wednesday, July 25, 2007

DB's Big Adventure - Day 2

My brother and his wife are the ultimate hosts. Not only did they feed us, loan us fluffy towels, and take us to Cabela's* (the ultimate redneck's paradise), they also gave their toddler a foam sword to whap us with whenever she pleased. Is that heaven, or what?

* Cabela's was pretty noteworthy in it's monstrous size, scope of hunting/fishing/outdoor gear, and the amount of dead, taxidermied animals that one store could house. It was both awesome and depressing.


My nephew, Jackson. I went in to pick up a crying baby and ended up snapping a couple photos before I actually finished what I went in there to do. Don't worry, no babies were harmed in the making of these photos.




Caitlin has more energy than an ant colony in full swing. This is one of the few I got where she was sitting still... without being bribed by Cheetos.





Since there was so much driving involved, there was a lot of scenery to contemplate.

When I visit places outside of my home, I often wonder what it could offer me if I were to move to that place. How is it better than where I currently live? Since I've never been a true "California Girl", I feel like I am able to look at this more objectively than some. I'm not lured by the constant sunshine, the moderate weather 568 days out of the year. Instead, I see those places with inclement weather, wide open spaces, or bustling urban areas and imagine myself there. How would I fare on my own in a strange, new place? Because the landscape outside my car window was ever-changing, there was a lot to contemplate. Here are a few of the highlights:





The theme I encountered in Utah that carried over into the other states was referred to as "monsoon season." It was most prominent in Colorado, but all the states we drove through had huge fluffly clouds that would roll in sometime in the afternoon, thunder and lightning for a bit, and then sprinkle for 10 minutes or so. I wished for more rain, but only New Mexico delivered in that dept. It was all still very cool though.



See? It doesn't take much rain to make me smile....






We drove through part of Wyoming on this day, looking for a good place to stop for the night. Although we drove through Kemmerer and didn't stay too long (all the bars were closed), it's noteworthy to mention as the home of the original JC Penney store. If not for this place, I don't think I would have been clothed as a child.

JC Penney's "Mother" store


This place would have been a lot more fun if it were, maybe... open?


The Victory Theater. I love the girl pulling her brother along to try and get out of the picture.



We drove a bit farther and ended up stopping for the night shortly after these were taken. And this concludes Day 2.

1 comment:

wrecklessgirl said...

thankyouthankyouthankyou! i added you to my blogreader. i'm so glad you found me so i could find you. the world comes full circle. thanks for your lovely comment, can't wait to see what you have in store for us! <3 k.