Monday, June 04, 2007

"Goin' to the Chapel and I'm gonna get maaaa-ried!"

NO! Not me sillies!

I have tentatively ventured out of the realm of comfortable, small, intimate, portrait shoots and into the crazy, exhausting, but somewhat rewarding realm of wedding photography. I've only assisted on a couple, but I've had fun as a second shooter, assisting an established photographer. It's been nice to be able to add something new to my portfolio - this year is all about experimentation and finding out what works, I think. Anyway, I thought I would share a few from the second wedding I helped cover:





























I took many, many pictures at this wedding - 8 hours worth. I even had to borrow a couple CF cards from the photographer I was assisting because I ran out. How embarassing!

Anyway, since I started this photography gig, everyone asks if I'm going to get into the wedding business. I hear it's good money and you can really make a name for yourself that way. But I'm starting to experience some of the pitfalls: (mostly) crazy bridezillas, family that doesn't get along, horrible lighting conditions, and a lot of stress due to blink-and-you-miss-it moments. There are no do-overs when the couple says "I do." You either get the shot or you don't. And if you don't... well, heaven help you when you have to tell the bride that her daddy/daughter dance didn't turn out.

I really am finding that I prefer the intimacy a regular portrait shoot provides. It's a much more manageable hour or two and I really get to know the small group of people that I'm photographing.
But I'm glad for this experience. It's really opened my eyes to a new venue and given me a taste of something else that's out there. I'm not completely ruling it out, but let's just say it's not my new favorite.

Next up on the agenda: Band Photography!

No comments: