Wednesday, August 31, 2005

Here we go again...


Room 165 by Todd Klassey



Okay, I know... it's been like 2 weeks. Although between you and me, I don't think anyone is standing by with bated breath, waiting for my next post.

Biggest change here to date? I'm in school again. Yep, the fall semester at City College. And, I've changed my major. When I got out of high school, I swore I was going to be a renown journalist (not famous - I want nothing to do with paparazzi) but respected in the community for being a good writer. I envisioned myself documenting a journey down the Nile River for National Geographic. Or penning an article about my trip to London and my stay at the Zetter Hotel. Or sharing all the juicy details about going backstage and having intimate conversations with that minute's hottest band a la Cameron Crowe, courtesy of Rolling Stone. Unfortunately for me, at the time I wasn't too keen on having to deal with people. Add that to the realization that it's a cutthroat world out there and jobs like that don't fall into some girl's lap right out of college... well, I decided that maybe Journalism wasn't my calling right at that moment.


So, I switched gears and decided to just get my degree in English. It was broad, general and vague enough to pretty much cover all sorts of bases. I would be qualified to be a writer if I wanted to or work in some kind of communications-type job. But then I got to thinking that English might be TOO vague and TOO general.


So, I spent some time trying to figure out what it is I really love. What I really want to do. Here I am, almost 30, and I'm thinking about what I want to be when I grow up. My thoughts kept going back to the artistic side of things. I'm always happiest when taking a picture, editing the photograph, writing a story, sculpting, painting, drawing, quilting, decopauging. Making a mosiac, a collage, a shelf, a layout. I'm happiest when I create. I'm also happiest when I get to work alone and late into the night. So, with all this in mind, I've taken my love of art and mashed it into my love of order and Voila! I'm going to major in Graphic Design. Should be a pretty good fit, right? I'll let you know when I'm burned out and still have 3 weeks to go in the semester...

No comments: