Tuesday, July 12, 2005

Lies... all lies

I haven't written for a looooooooooong time. Even grading on a sliding scale for my procrastinating self, it's been a while. Bad, bad monkey. I could say that I've just been so caught up in other things, like extravaganzas, galas and other BIG! EVENTS! but that would not be true. It would be so very opposite in fact... so, no more excuses. No bald-faced lies. I. just. haven't. written.

Smack my hand. There, make you feel better? Okay, now that it's all out of your system...

I have a bunch of stuff to post, I'm sure. But, it's like when someone asks you your address or telephone number and all of the sudden you blank. You stand there, sputtering and looking like an idiot until you quit being embarrassed and voila! it comes back to you in a flash. No, that's never happened to me either, but if it did, it would kind of be like right now... knowing things have happened, but not remembering really what they were. Or where I should even start.

To jog my memory for the next time, I will soon tell you about my low-key birthday party (which is today! happy 27 to me!) that I was forced to arrange for myself, my pre-birthday getaway that my BF allowed me to plan and then graciously paid for, the 4th of July and all the reasons I just can't stand Hawaii. Most of these involve some story and lots of pictures. But everyone likes pictures, right? And at this point, you're probably just hoping I shut up soon anyway.

The one thing I will touch on is the fact that I have a new nephew. Cole Jaxon was born on July 5th - one day late in true Barrera fashion. Why my SIL wouldn't wait until the 12th to have this kid is beyond me. She could have saved any money on a separate birthday present for me since having a relation born on my birthday in tribute is more than adequate. However, SOME people didn't see the importance of this and I will try and grumble a little more quietly in the future. I was sick with a bad cold at the time Cole was born, so I didn't make it to the hospital. In fact, I didn't get to meet him until this past weekend, when I went to my folk's house for dinner. In the past, when new parents, all aglow with love and adoration for their little bundle of joy asked if I wanted to hold the new baby, I deferred. "Uh, maybe later, thanks." I didn't mind holding the kid... I just didn't want to be put on the spot. Now, that I have 2 nieces under my belt, I'm an old pro at this. I walked in the door, "Hey, how's everybody doing? Fine? Good to hear.. where's the baby?" Someone reluctantly hands him over and he's in my arms, all 8 lbs of him. He's small and warm and smells like clean babies do. He struggles to open his eyes for a couple minutes, then gives up, yawns and goes back to sleep. What a life. Don't accuse me of being baby-hungry. I'm not sure I could do this full-time at this point in my life. But man-oh-man, it sure is fun to visit.

Anyway, that's about it. I'm leaving work early today (duh! it's my BIRTH-day!) and treating myself to a present... standing in line at the DMV to renew my license since it expires today. Special thanks to the bouncer who pointed this out to me last weekend...

No comments: