Tuesday, April 03, 2007

I know you don't owe me anything, Internet & Co. You probably felt abandoned, left out in the cold, neglected, and a lot like chopped liver. And I understand if you want to give me the cold treatment too. But, it's not like I did it on purpose. It's not like I didn't think of all y'all over this 2+ week hiatus. It's not like I didn't miss you or anything. It's just that everything had been all over the place lately. What with the school, and the relationship, and the work or the lack thereof due to my imminent lay-off.... So much uncertainty and not enough words to make sense of it, or even convey how I feel about it.

And so, instead of sitting on my keester, and facing it like a woman with cajones, I am going to take a road trip, and hightail it to San Francisco for the weekend.

I've never been to San Francisco. I've heard a lot about it; a lot of, "OMG! You would love it!!!! It's so YOU!!! It's HELLA YOU!!!!!" And it's been nothing short of frustrating to nod and smile and not be jealous because dammit, they didn't even send me a postcard. I've always known I would go there, I've always known I would like it.. it's north and on the western coast, right? What is there not to like? I already have memories attached to the place... letters written from hotel rooms by a high school boyfriend... the beginnings of a short story that starred yours truly packing up all my posessions and leaving for SF.... and a halfway point - a neutral ground - for a reunion in my imagination. How is it then, that I've never been there?

But, enough of the ramblings. It's not like I pictured, but I'm going and I'll be there for 3 days and 2 nights and then in Monterey for 2 days and a night.

My question is this: According to all y'all, where do I have to go? What can I absolutely not miss? Between me and Frommer's, we've come up with Chinatown and the Ferry Building. But after that, I'm kind of at a loss. And short of wandering around with my camera, which I will probably do anyway, it would be nice to have some kind of a plan. So, any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I promise to show oodles of pictures when I get home.

Speaking of pictures, since no post is complete without them, one of the highlights of last weekend was decorating easter eggs with my niece and nephew. It's something my family has been doing for years and years. My brothers don't participate so much anymore, but every year, my mom gamely pulls out her box of crafts and martha stewart magic and calls me, ensuring I will fill my daughterly duty as assistant craftician. Since we usually end up coloring about 12 eggs a piece, it was nice to have the help of the kidlets this year.









After the decorating, we all gathered around and proceeded to be awed again (and again and again... they're that age) by "Happy Feet."



I'll be checking e-mail while I'm gone, so feel free to send suggestions!

No comments: